Five Ways your Lifestyle May be Hurting your Skin
Posted by 3d on September 29, 2014
Everything that we do, eat and perhaps even think affects us physically one way or another. It may not be a quick change, but a gradual, cumulative effect that manifests over time. And many of these effects can be seen in the condition of our skin.
Here are five top ways your lifestyle choices may be harming your complexion and how you can make a positive, healthy and beautiful change:
- You're eating all wrong: Diet is a top factor in the overall condition of our skin. If yours is high in fats and simple carbohydrates, it can sap your natural levels of collagen and hyaluronic acid, which will accelerate wrinkling. Start making changes to your diet now by adding foods high in antioxidants, Vitamins C and E, plus complex carbohydrates like whole grains and pasta. And, make sure you stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and snacking on fruits and vegetables.
- You're a couch potato: Regular exercise not only helps control weight, but also improves blood circulation. That blood flow boost delivers higher levels of oxygen and nutrients to the skin, helping to jumpstart collagen production and staving off wrinkles. Get off the couch and onto the treadmill or your favorite walking path stat.
- You’ve picked up bad habits: Smoking cigarettes and drinking too much alcohol can lead to a myriad of health issues. It also saps your skin of oxygen and nutrients, particularly Vitamin C - a key component in collagen production. Break these habits immediately.
- You burn the candles at both ends: There's a reason they call it "beauty rest." Skimping on sleep is what gives you those dark under-eye circles, puffy eyelids and pale, dulled skin. Get seven to eight hours of uninterrupted, restorative sleep each night to help keep your skin radiant and youthful. Keep in mind that the way you sleep matters, too. Scrunching your face into your pillow sure feels comfy, but it can cause wrinkles. Get accustomed to sleeping on your back instead.
- You skimp on skincare: Getting regular skincare treatments and using high-quality skincare products really does make a difference. Fraxel treatments can help erase multiple ill effects like acne, wrinkles and spots. And regular chemical peels and facials can help maintain your skin's youthful look.
Ready to make a positive change in your skin? Call 904-461-6797 to schedule a skin analysis and treatments with St. Augustine's Avanti Medical Spa.